1950: Birth of the Horton Park Golf Club
In this year on the world stage, the Korean War erupted, Shirley Temple retired from show business and the cartoon strip, Peanuts, was first published. Closer to home, Robert Menzies was in his second term as the country’s longest serving prime minister, we were still 16 years away from converting to metric and 36-year-old Brisbane boy, fiesty Norman Von Nida, won both the Australian Open and the Australian PGA Championship.
It was also the year that William (Bill) Coffey, a keen golfer who had a drapery store in the small town, learned of the existence of the trust land through the Manager of the ES&A bank. Mr Coffey and Mr Fred Jacobs, from the local pharmacy, then organised a public meeting with the intention of forming a golf club utilising the trust land.
The meeting was held 15th June 1950 in the Star Theatre owned by Mr Jim Comino. Messrs W. Coffey, F. Jacobs, R.Crosby, C.A. Blakey, M. Bateman, J.K. Hungerford, T. Sproul, N. Hooper, R.E. Holtzman, McPherson, D. Garth, and Mr. Bowling were in attendance. The meeting agreed that the Club should be named Horton Park Golf Club in honour of the donor of the land.
In February 1956 approval was sought from the QGU to declare the course fit to play and in May 1956 Mr M.R. Hornibrook, President of the QGU, officially opened the course. At the AGM in 1956 the President reported that the clubhouse had been completed and the course open for play. A special tribute was paid to the Associates for their contribution. By now, the club now had 63 Members, 37 Associates, 3 Country Members and 1 Country Associate. In the same year, a liquor licence was acquired through the QGU, a shed was built to house the mowers and an SS of 64 was set for the course. Mr A.G. Broughton was elected Captain and Mr A. Briggs, Vice Captain.